The history of Teilingen Residence does not go too long back in time. Buitenveldert was designed as a ‘garden city’ of Amsterdam, with its own shops, schools, churches, lots of green and playgrounds. The facilities offered residents a high degree of independence from the city. In 1955, the development of Buitenveldert started and the entire area was raised with sand from Loosdrecht. The foundation stone for Buitenveldert was laid in 1958, and the first residents were able to move in a year later. Most of the garden city was built in the 1960s, including Teilingen Residence.
The main streets are named after the bailiffs of Amstelland, other streets are named after Dutch provinces and castles and country houses. Teilingen Residence is therefore not only named after the street, but also after the bailiff Van Teylingen.
Photo source: Stadsarchief Amsterdam, 5293FO010485